- DARPA Is Developing Tiny Implants That Trigger Self-Healing (9/19/2014) - What do you think? Are big Pharmaceuticals going to let this little neuromodulatory device break into their market – the human body and mind? Would you be more likely to use a device that senses problems and then sends out tailored electrical impulses to populations of nerves that help the body heal itself using your […]
The Prevail Project aims to be the worldwide clearinghouse for humanistic response to rapid technological change. Its goal is to accelerate bottom-up, enlightened triumph in the face of exponential challenges the way the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency accelerates technology. Its core hope is that in the face of unprecedented transformation, humans will continue to prevail, shaping their own futures, toward their own ends, rather than being the pawns of their explosively powerful technologies. For the only enduring advantage is to learn faster than the competition. And the best way to anticipate the future is to invent it yourself.
I decline to accept the end of man.
It is easy enough to say that man is immortal
simply because he will endure: that when
the last ding-dong of doom has clanged and faded from
the last worthless rock hanging tideless in
the last red and dying evening, that even then
there will still be one more sound:
that of his puny inexhaustible voice, still talking.
I refuse to accept this.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail.
He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures
has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul,
a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
The poet’s, the writer’s, duty is to write about these things.
It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been
the glory of his past.
The poet’s voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one
of the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail.
– William Faulkner
Nobel Prize acceptance speech
December 10, 1950
- Smoke ‘Em if You Got ‘Em: How Super Bananas may Just Save the Starving and the Overweight (6/26/2014) - Vitamin A has long been recognized as a major contributing factor to healthy skin and staving off infectious diseases – but can it cure type 2 diabetes? Can bio-engineered super bananas save lives? Professor James Dale is leading a project at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) that has received $10 million dollars in funding […]
- Amy Purdy May Feel “Only Human,” but Clearly She is So Much More (6/19/2014) - It’s not every day you see a piece about dance that includes the phrases: * ” ‘We have Wonder Woman in this room, I’m telling you!’ gushed Bruno Tonioli, one of the show’s judges.” * “Bio-mechanical engineers will tell you transcendence is here already. Bionics is not only about making people stronger and faster, […]
- Eat Your Carrots: How DARPA and the U.S. Military are Prevailing on Behalf of Soldiers’ Mental Health Care (6/16/2014) - I’ve got to tell you – when I hear “DARPA” and “US Military” in the same sentence, I tend to think two things: 1) Well, this is going to involve millions of dollars, and 2) I bet my husband would read this article and have fun things to tell me about it tonight over a […]
- Surprising Social Media Tricks To Try (1/14/2014) - Social media channels have undoubtedly turned into some of the most inspired choices when it comes to quickly sharing news, events, information, and content online. Business managers can therefore make the most of these tools to boost the social media presence of their companies and small firms, increase their rates of engagement and constantly attract […]
- Road Safety Tips For Commercial Drivers (1/14/2014) - No matter what sort of a vehicle you might be driving, road safety is an imperative must. Maintaining a high degree of driving awareness and knowing and fully complying with all the set of road safety rules and regulations of the place you are in are mandatory. Driving a truck triggers even more risks as […]
- Choosing the Best Dance School (1/13/2014) - Whether it’s taking your child along to their very first dance lessons, or trying to choose a dance school which will elevate your career in dance, there are a few choices which need to be made in order to ensure you pick the right place for you or your child. Of course as one of […]
- What Does It Take To Be A Wizards of the Coast Brand Manager? (1/7/2014) - For starters, you would be working for the largest publisher of adventure games on the planet, so that’s definitely a huge plus on your resume. Secondly, you could become a brand manager for the Magic Marketing team or some other marketing enthusiasts responsible for the advertising side of our company. At the moment, we are […]
- The Importance Of Good Publicity For Casino Hotels (12/31/2013) - Hotel casinos pay special attention to planning their promotional events that attract more guests interested in gambling in their top casinos. While cities like Las Vegas or Atlantic City should have no trouble attracting passionate players from all corners of the world willing to spend a few nights there and gamble non-stop, cities that are […]
- What Do Cycling And Lotteries Have In Common? (12/31/2013) - If you come to think of it, at first sight, not much. Or not a lot, other than the fact they are both simple activities pretty much everyone can do, or the fact they are both enjoyable. However, there is more than meets the eye, and these lies below will tell you a few surprising […]